Friday, May 18, 2007

13 May

One of my major complaints about living here - one of the FEW! - is the terrible Mexican food! I miss Las Margaritas in Gillette! I know even that may not be authentic Mexican but at least it tastes good. To recount a few Mexican food experiences here: There is Hombres, an expensive place I went to on New years Eve of LAST year with a group of Americans. Not too bad, but definitely ta once-a-year kind of place...just too much money! But at least they use salsa and cheddar cheese, although their fajitas leave a LOT to be desired! Next there is Cantina...also a bit more pricey, not quite as bad as Hombres though.The food is...tolerable, not great - some people even say they hate it. I really, really like their refried beans though - they are black beans and have sort of a smokey, bacon-y, garlicky flavor. But at these prices, I need to learn how to MAKE them! Also there is Picante, which is the fast-food of Mexican in Prague. I have never eaten there and laft without a sick stomach. The fmenu is mostly is fried stuff - greasy and not bad, but spicy and...doesn't like me for some reason. The only benefit - free refills and a variety of salsas. Last we have ...gosh I don't know the name. I Pribram, where the boys live, a new Mexican restaurant opened up last month. We4 were so excited, we rushed right over. While the quesadillas were pretty good, the "salsa" they served was a cross between barbeque sauce and chutney. Weird. Weird on the "enchilada" but not too bad on the chicken wings...that's mexican right?
Anyway, that's my major food complaint. Bring on the Taco Bell! So last night Stephen and I made tortillas and salsa and made or own version of Taco Bells' Mexi-melts. ;-) I have to say...not bad! Threw some tomatoes, onions, garlic, lime juice, and cilantro in the robot and gave it a whirl. We let it sit while we made the tortillas...a long process, so we made extras to freeze at my house! mmmm. We had made these before with a group, so we KIND OF knew what we were doing.
This is the recipe we used, as I said before, from Marianne:
4 cups flour, 1 tsp salt mixed together
Then add 1 T of oil and add between 1 and 1 1/2 cups of BOILING water. Start with the smaller amount of water and add more if needed. This WILL taste like homemade play-doh!;-) So form it into litlle balls and roll them flat. Put in a frying pan on Med heat and flip with then turn white and get a little brown(ours took about 3-5 min each, so we used 2 pans).

We got about 16 tortillas out of this recipe I think. Fantastic! Even last year, it was kind of hard to find tortillas outside of the really big grocery stores. Anyway, these were fantastic. We indulged ourselves and bought some hard-to-find cheddar cheese and mmm....
Church today was good. It was about what you think about. The pastor showed a funny little clip that you can find here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vBn2_ia8zM
and asked us "What are you (th)inking about?" Then we got lots of Scriptures instruction us on what we should think about...very nice.
After church, I met with a former CFNI grad! Weird story, but I found a snifer...;-) They weren't at the school when I was, but a few years later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home