Wednesday, May 30, 2007

30 May

Today I am sick. Actually, yesterday I was sick too, which is why I didn't write. I had three classes, so I taught them very mechanically and went straight down to my flat and to bed. Normally, the process is really simple - if you are sick, you call the school and tell them, so they cancel your classes for the day, and you go to the doctor. Always. You don't stay home a few days...you have to go to the doctor! Usually this itself is QUITE an ordeal. SOme doctors, like our school's normal physician, do not speak any English, so describing symptoms is a complicated process. Think gestures combined with body part words, which you prepare ahead of time. Really, I have only been to the doctor once for an illness, so I am lucky. The normal procedure though, is that they write a note for the school saying you have such-and-such disease and have to stay home for ____ days. A week is standard, or you have to go back and get a new note. This is for anything. You have strep throat - a week at home. You have a sinus infection - a week at home. Whatever. So...when you go to the doctor, you have to prepare for that possibility, which is why I am typing this instead of going to a doctor. I do not HAVE a week to sty at home! Tomorrow morning, at about 5 a.m. (oof!) AMy, Katie, Ben, and I will trek off to the foreign police to get our visas for working here next year. My friend Stephanie went today and it only took her 6 hours of sitting in the office before her number was called, and then 2 more hours to run and get the paperwork that she was missing, and get back. Nice, huh? So that's our lovely plan for tomorrow! The next day we leave for a canoeing trip on the Vltava River a few hours away in the beautiful town of Cesky Krumlov (see the movie The Illusionist for views of it, even though they say they are in Vienna). The following week, on Tuesday, I leave on a trip to southern England for two weeks with a bus load of 13 year olds - fun and stressful! So all trhat to say...I don't have time to go to a doctor. I was lucky and my classes were cancelled today, since the kids were on their own canoe trip! So, I slept most of the day, except for a few hours of waking up to watch the season finale of Lost - oh my GOSH! - and now I will head to bed again. Hopefully by tomorrow, the fever and stuffiness will be gone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home